I haven't posted in quite some time. My grandmother died on Monday morning, and the week simply flew by. I had to redo my lesson plans so that a sub could take over for me on Thursday and Friday. I was terribly worried about my mom, although it turns out she did ok. My extended family came in from all over the place and there was just so much to be done. I have a lot of mixed feelings about all of it, but the only part that really matters is that it's over. My mom can have her life back, and my grandma is gone, and I don't have to feel one way or the other about any of it.
I have been thinking a lot about how much I love teaching and whether or not I will be able to do it for very long because of the parents and administrators. I hope that part of the job becomes less and less important, as I work to train myself to get my priorities straight. I have been trying to just take a deep breath whenever something happens that irritates me, like an email from a snotty parent or an unannounced visit from administration. Do those things have to affect my teaching? Of course not! But they will, unless I get a grip. So I am practicing letting the stuff go. Making a conscious decision to say, Self, you have no business getting upset about this piddly little thing. Just take care of it in a calm and professional matter, and then refuse to think about it further.
I just know I can get better at that! And then my job will be so much more enjoyable.
I really like most of my life now. I live in a house, a nice one, with enough money to pay for groceries and a decent car. It's still somewhat a meager existence, but like I tell my kids, this is the poorest we will be from now on. Every year from now on I will make a little more. And spend it. And so on. It's just nice to pay the bills without getting a stomachache. I love my house. I have been working on my parenting skills, and it shows in my children's behavior. Life is good! Now, I can focus my energy on being a good teacher and trying to get the president impeached.
No comments:
Post a Comment