My 10th period class is an elective, meaning I can pretty much teach whatever I want as long as there is some educational value in there. The students rotate electives every nine weeks, so once the first quarter was over, I just recycled the lesson plans. I chose to teach a cooking class. We take a recipe for cookies, brownies, or some other treat. We multiply the recipe so we make enough for everybody, and then we divide the recipe so that we can have each group mix up a bowl of whatever it is. They get a lot of conceptual fractions, and then when it's time to measure and mix, they get that experience too. I send out a letter at the beginning of each quarter, asking the parents if they would like to donate ingredients. I tell them it's OK if they don't want to. We'll just do fractions when we run out of stuff. They usually bring more than enough. I have the student mix and measure and make the dough or batter, and then I pack it up, take it home, and bake it on my own time. It's a lot of my own time and energy and sometimes money, but the students really enjoy it.
This quarter has been a little bit different. We had AIMS testing, my grandma died, I have been out of the classroom quite a bit for this meeting or that one. When we made chocolate chip cookies, I didn't have time to bake them... I stuck the dough in the freezer and told the kids they would get them when they got them. When I am going to be gone from the classroom, it throws a wrench into things because it takes 2 days to mix and measure the ingredients, and it has to be done 2 days in a row. Otherwise the ingredients are left sitting out, it goes bad and the stuff has to be thrown away.
Somebody complained about not getting the cookies. They didn't complain to me. They complained to the assistant principal, who then decided it would be a good idea to put a comment in my FORMAL EVALUATION saying that I wasn't following the curriculum for my 10th period class. Curriculum? Excuse me? I invented the curriculum. Nobody even wanted to see it. Neither administrator at my school, nor any other official, has bothered to come in and observe that class to see what we do. Nobody gave a rat's ass about that class until a parent complained. So the assistant principal wrote in my FORMAL EVALUATION that for nearly three weeks this quarter, I have not followed the curriculum. I am stunned. What actually happened is that I didn't get the cookies baked in a timely manner. Which is something I do on my own time, at night, outside of the school. How does that translate into not following the curriculum?
It's a good thing I joined the union.
No comments:
Post a Comment