I chaperoned a trip to the opera last night. It's the first opera I have ever been to, and I have to say it might have been the last. I am going to try not to judge the whole genre by this single experience, but HOLY SHIT! The students finally fell asleep during the second act, for which I was eternally grateful because then I didn't have to listen to them complaining about how bored they were. My feet were killing me because the idea of going to the opera in high heels was just too irresistible, I could not pass it up. Now, don't get me wrong. It was terribly exciting before the opera actually started. People were coming in dressed in tuxedos and the most glamorous gowns. My daughter wore a beautiful beaded gown, low heels and her hair up and every time I looked for her I thought she was lost, because I kept thinking, Where is Emily? And who is that lady that keeps following me?
And then I would realize that was my baby, all grown up. It sucks to be jealous of your own kid. Anyway, the music was beautful, the orchestra was great. The opera was in German (oy! such an ugly language) and there were subtitles projected above the stage. I kept laughing because the subtitle would say something like, "I am coming for you, my dear" but the singing just went on and on... how can it possibly take that many syllables to say that sentence??
So, that was my opera experience. One of the other chaperones went to Phantom of the Opera and she said it was NOTHING like this, it was action packed and wonderful. So maybe I will give it another try before I decide I don't care for opera. All I can say is, don't go see the Flying Dutchman unless you are trying to punish whoever you bring with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment