Saturday, February 12, 2011

I spent.

I taught at Pima today until noon, and then tutored from 5 - 7. I treated myself to a pedicure. It wasn't a good pedicure, which pisses me off because it was $25 which is probably cheap... I don't know. My feet are not any smoother than they were when I went in. Anyway my toes look nice, which is good because I am wearing flip-flops in my classroom in order to bear the heat. I covered one of the vents with a posterboard and duct tape, and the classroom cooled down to below 80, but by the afternoon it was back up past 80 and it didn't matter. I told my co-teacher we need to both call in sick or something, until they fix it, and she said "I'm not that dramatic." So, I think this might be the last straw. I'm sick of working in a profession that is so pathetically undervalued. The state is talking about cutting the capital part of the education budget, which means even less money for things like building maintenance and desks. I have a fucking master's degree and I am making the same salary that Leslie will be making when she starts her job at the U of A bursar's office on Monday. None of that would matter if I felt like I was making a difference in the world, but the bottom line is that I spend about half my time babysitting because the kids don't give a shit and either they have no parents, or their parents don't care either. The other half the time I do teach, and sometimes I make a difference, and that used to be enough. But I am just fed up. So I am putting feelers out. I want to teach adults who are going back to school in an effort to change or better their careers. I think community college might be my best bet. I'm looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment