I decided to play hardball in my quest to get reasonable classroom temperatures. I applied for jobs at Pima over the weekend, and then found out from a colleague who works there that there are huge cuts coming in the fall. They are closing one of the campuses and looking to place the people that will be ousted. They are not hiring AT ALL. However I think she might be talking about full-time faculty positions, which I don't have a shot at anyway. What I want is adjunct faculty positions teaching math classes. The website says they are hiring for that. So I can still hope.
Anyway I sent the principal and assistant principal an email yesterday morning stating that I had applied for some jobs over the weekend and they might be receiving some calls. Lo and behold, dear blog, the assistant principal was in the room at least three times checking on the temperature. Someone was up in the ceiling with a ladder by third period. I went to the back of the room, where the vents are, while he was up there. I felt cooler air coming out almost immediately. I asked him what he had done. He said he closed the valve. It took him all of 5 minutes. He said now you won't have anything coming in at all. I said GREAT! He explained a little bit about what is wrong with the system and why it's only our classroom that is suffering. It turns out the heating system turns on based on the temperature outside the school instead of inside the classroom. How stupid is that?
A little later, both the principal and assistant principal came in and came directly to me. The assistant principal says he has an update, and that they had bypassed the heating system entirely. He said it might get kind of cold in the room. I said I can always put MORE clothes on. I don't mind the cold! I am really hoping that this morning when I walk in, I won't feel like it's summer in Tucson and I'm walking straight into an open oven. We'll see. I wish they had done it sooner because now I am getting sick, and I am almost certain that walking in and out of the extreme temperatures is what did it. I was coughing that barky cough each time I walked from the hot room into the cold outside. I told the school nurse, who also knows about my bipolar and my immune system deficiency. Now the cough hurts and my chest feels compressed. Stupid bastards.
In other news, my Mac completely died. It won't turn on at all. All of my budget information is in there. Now I am really making a mess with my finances, because I need to start over and I don't want to do the work. I am using my work laptop. I am spending money based on my federal tax refund that should be coming but hasn't made its anticipated appearance. Ugh!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment