I have been very busy preparing for the holiday. I have faced many stumbling blocks. Will my bananas ripen in time to make the bread? How much paprika should I put in the herb paste for the $120 rib roast? Will the farmer's market have garlic on Saturday or will I have to buy it at the store?
Last night on the news I saw a family in the middle east who has been displaced from their home because of sectarian violence. They have faced many stumbling blocks. Where will they go after the holiday? The landlord is kicking them out. Will the father be able to find a job? The mother has been killed. Will they be able to have dinner tonight? There is no money, and even if there was, there is no food to buy.
The father had just gone grocery shopping and he spread out what he was able to buy so that the camera could get a good shot. It was all cans. A can of peas, a can of some sort of meat. There were maybe 6 cans of food and who knows how long it will sustain the family.
I am profoundly grateful for where I live and who I am. I am grateful for my conscience, which is demanding that I spend more of my time and resources helping those less fortunate. I am grateful that I have my family and the biggest of my worries as far as they are concerned, is who will be the first to cry on Christmas. I am grateful for the opportunity to redefine "stumbling blocks" and realize that what I have are inconveniences at best. I am even grateful for the media, without whom I would not be able to have this attack of conscience. I pray that the universe will help that family and all the other ones who are struggling. Please, help them find some peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment