Thursday, January 22, 2009

What a nightmare!

I had a school nightmare last night. I was a 7th grade teacher with no supplies, kids that behaved like animals, and a staff so big that I felt I knew noone. (That's not the nightmare yet, that is reality.) Then, for some ridiculous reason, the administration asked me to teach 1st grade and I AGREED! So I went into the new classroom and there were probably 40 first graders running around. There were boxes and jars and cans and containers stacked up to the ceiling in every corner and along every wall, full of every kind of school supply you can imagine. The kids were all seated in a circle around a huge island which was also stacked to the ceiling. Supplies, good, right? NO! They were all disorganized!! There were pencils mixed with crayons, bulletin board borders in the same container with math manipulatives, etc. It was a giant mess! And I had inherited it! My email inbox was jam packed with read and unread emails, and even though they were all addressed to me, I couldn't understand any of them! Then the kids started running amok, and of course I didn't know any of their names, for I had taken over in the middle of the school day and didn't even know where the seating chart was! One of the kids, who was like 17 years old and had facial hair and looked very mean, tried to go outside through the sliding glass door (!?) and when I tried to stop him, he grabbed my wrist and twisted. I kicked him out and promptly started sobbing because I had made such a bad decision. I sat down in my teacher chair among all the boxes and containers, and cried for a minute and I don't know what the children were doing. Then I realized I had better start acting like a teacher so I got up and started to check on one of the kids, and realized I had no underwear or pants on!!! They were on the floor about 10 feet from my desk!! In my dream, I was thinking, this is like a dream! That's how real it was. I put my pants and underwear back on and the bell rang, and I had to ask the kids if that was the dismissal bell. They said yes, so I told them I would see them tomorrow. On their way out I noticed that one of them was a PARENT!! And all I could think of was that if she saw me without pants on, I was going to get fired!
Then I woke up with a pounding headache. Oh. My. God.

No comments:

Post a Comment