Monday, March 31, 2008

Last day of March

Time marches on. This is the last week of school before students take their AIMS test. This year, I have come to a realization about the stress I normally feel about this time. I thought I was originating the stress - I was worrying about how the kids would perform, and stressing myself out. This year, however, my 3rd year around this block, I am not worried. I've been preparing all year, and the kids are ready. Since I am not worried, I am able to notice what is happening around me. The administration is worried. I wish I hadn't noticed it, because it's really irritating me. Whatever problems our school has that might affect the kids' scores cannot be solved in the final two weeks before the test. So why all of a sudden are we talking about NOT REVIEWING for the AIMS? Seriously, we have had two meetings, where they told us we are NOT REVIEWING for the AIMS. And we've been given lots of tips about what to do while we are NOT REVIEWING. And how to NOT REVIEW for the AIMS effectively. Lots of interactive ideas about how to NOT REVIEW.
We've also been told and emailed ad nauseum about how important the kids' scores are. Like we didn't already know? People, if I wasn't preparing for this all year, there is no way I would be ready if I started preparing now! They are telling us how to make our room a great testing environment. They are having a door decorating contest, where the kids are supposed to decorate the inside of the classroom door with encouraging sayings and mood lifters. Do they think the kids aren't on to them?
Anyway, the good part is that I wasn't doing this to myself the last 2 years. I had a LOT of help from the people who are NOT HELPING ME PREPARE.

No comments:

Post a Comment