The news situation in Tucson has always been bad. When I moved here I noticed that the local stations deliberately avoided reporting on anything happening in Phoenix. It is as if they feel acknowledging the existence of the capital city might interfere with Tucson's identity as the Alternative Capital City. The newscasters here speak in barely functional language, stumble over the most basic of sentences, and cannot seem to figure out where the emphasis should be. It's a good thing they don't report on foreign affairs either, because I can't imagine how they might disgrace themselves with names like Sarkozy and Ma Ying-jeou. As long as I have been watching and reading the news here, the policy when deciding what to report on is clearly, "If it doesn't happen in Tucson, then it doesn't happen."
So I depend largely on the internet for my news, since I don't have cable. This morning, while browsing the headlines, I noticed under the Local News section of my Google News page that the Tucson Citizen has this headline today:
Services open, closed Easter and Monday
What the hell?? It doesn't even make sense. Another case in point: Obama's speech on Tuesday is given exactly one mention, and it comes after an announcement about the new no-kill dog and cat shelter and a fascinating read about a job fair for veterans. It gets better - this is the first line of the article:
"The brother can turn a phrase." That was congressman Raúl Grijalva's review of Barack Obama's speech on race that had the nation talking this week.
Oh, my GOD. The embarrassment. Does Raul think that since he is Hispanic, he can refer to Barak as a "brother" because Barak is black? Raul Grijalva, si se puede make an ass of yourself. Do us all a favor and remember this: Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
There are a lot of things I love about Tucson, but sometimes I wonder if it is worth being associated with the news organizations here.
No comments:
Post a Comment