Sunday, July 01, 2012

The Answer

This morning I watched the political pundits, and I wanted to make fried potatoes and eggs and eat them while I watched. Instead, I made a smoothie with kale, spinach, carrots, berries, flaxseed, and some vitamin c and probiotics, and drank it. Then,  I wanted to make fried potatoes (at that point I was willing to give up the eggs) and sit and read my book. Instead, I got into my long-neglected workout clothes and went to the exercise room in my apartment complex. I rode the bike for 20 minutes and then walked on the treadmill for 10. After that, I wanted to make fried potatoes and sit and read my book. Instead, I made another smoothie sans flaxseed and supplements, and drank it. Now I will clean up and get to the grocery store when what I want to do is sit and read my book. (It's a really good book.)
If I only knew why I have the strength to do these things some days and not others, maybe I could find a way to make it happen more frequently. Because ultimately, the answer to my mood swings is not more pills. It's on the treadmill and the exercise bike and the elliptical. It's outside at 5 a.m. walking toward the sunrise. It's in the raw whole food smoothies. Why my logical brain can't be in charge all of the time I will probably never know, but I'm certainly going to take advantage of the times when it is. So far today, healthy is winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment