We are approaching the official Celebration of the Patriarchy, otherwise known as Father's Day. I have been hearing the most vile commercial on the radio, trying to convince people to shop for Father's Day at the Foothills Mall here in Tucson. In the commercial, someone is listing great things about dads. I can't remember the exact wording or voices until the part where someone says, "To his own special way of dealing with the ladies." This is followed by a wolf whistle, then a boy's voice says, "Dad, stop staring!" After that there is the sound of a slap, and a male voice says, "Ow!"
Really?
Are you kidding me?
This is a quality of a "great dad?" A great dad is someone whistling at a woman who is clearly not the child's mother, in front of his child? Someone who stares at random women in front of his son? Really? It's sexist and awful. VILE.
So, I wrote a letter to the management. If you want to write a letter, the email addresses are at the link above.
Update: Got this today from the marketing director:
Hello,
I just wanted to let you know that the Marketing Director has been instructed to pull the commercial immediately.
Thank you again.
No comments:
Post a Comment