A bunch of teachers in my school district got pink-slipped yesterday. Three teachers at my school were included but I don't know who they are. All I know is there were a bunch of upset-looking teachers walking around yesterday.
I am not sure anyone knows how many of the teaching positions in my district, especially math and science, are filled with temporary teachers. When we read the news articles and statements from the district, and comments from anyone and everyone, nobody ever mentions the temporary teachers. They are talking about teachers who are on permanent contract with the district, who are being laid off. It's scary because it's a double whammy and nobody knows about it. Along with the teachers being laid off, there are at least twice as many temporary positions, probably more, and then factor in the people who are retiring or leaving the district for other reasons. There will be 40 kids per classroom next year, and fourth grade teachers will be teaching 8th grade math because they have seniority with the district. Is this really the best we can do, Arizona?
No comments:
Post a Comment