Saturday, April 17, 2010

Survival Within the Patriarchy

I got pulled over yesterday for the first time in many years.
The fair opened, and it's off the same freeway exit that I use to get home. Traffic was backed up for a mile to get to the exit, because even though that's where the fair is, there is still just the one exit lane after all these years. Anyway, I had my daughter's play to get to, so I wasn't going to wait in that line. I thought I would go to the next exit, but then I saw one of those median strips where they cops hang out. I decided to use that to turn around. A few seconds after I pulled into the median, I saw another car coming up beside me. "What an idiot!" I thought, and then I saw it was a cop. Ha! Now who's the idiot?
I immediately put on my "stupid female" hat. He gestures with his arms and shoulders to say, "What the hell are you doing?" I got out of the car and he got out of the car. He said, "You can't be in here!" I said, "I know but I didn't realize the backup was for Houghton and I went past my exit, and I just panicked but now I don't know how I am going to get out of here because the traffic coming the other way is going too fast!" He just looked at me. I said, "Do you want to give me a ticket?" He said, "Well, yeah!" I said, "Ok." He just looked at me again and then asked for my driver's license. I got it for him and then asked if he needed my insurance and registration paperwork. He said no, so I knew I was off the hook. He wrote down some stuff and I got back into my car, rolled down the window and put my seat belt back on. He told me he wasn't writing me a ticket, but a warning and I was not to do this anymore! I said I won't. Then he quickly stepped over and handed me my license, saying, "Now I have to go because there is a crash. Drive safe." He ran off without even giving me the warning, safe in the knowledge that he had rescued me from my own stupidity.
As long as it's an act.
I'm not sure it's hypocrisy as much as it is survival within the patriarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment