Thursday, June 07, 2007

I have a question.

It's a research question, mind you. Here's my project for the summer:
What is the effect of scale infestation on mortality of pinyon pines during a drought?
I want to do two things in order to answer this question. First, I want to be a part of the research team that collects data for the project. Basically it's a day long hike slogging around in the cinders, and every 15 minutes or so we find a tree that is tagged with the right numbers and we measure the growth. Not hard. Except that there are about 900 trees. The most important thing for my project will be mapping the trees that have died. As my mentor says, "Death is good for business."
After that is done, I can begin to crunch the numbers. I want to compare the trees that have died a drought-related death to the trees that have died a drought-scale-infected-related death.
Here is my hypothesis: Scale infestation of pinyon pines during a drought increases mortality.
It's more complicated than it sounds, really! Here's the deal: Arizona has been in a drought for about the last 10 years. The pinyon pine population is suffering from three major maladies. First is the drought, then the two insect infestations of moth and scale insects. The moth population decreases during the drought, but the scale population increases. This is all just stupefyingly boring, but it matters not! The trees are dying or dead, and I get to figure out how much of the dead trees died due to drought versus drought combined with scale infestation. So there's my job. I'm sure you were dying to know. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment